Wednesday 26 September 2012

Thing 18: Screen Capture and Podcasts.

When I first read the synopsis for Thing 18, I was unsure about how successful this week’s post would be. However, Screencast-o-matic required no downloading, was able to work on the work’s PCs, was really relevant to work and was even easy to use. Crikey!

One of our most common telephone enquiries is from people who are unable to access our e-books. I was able to easily create a video that demonstrates where they are having problems, how to resolve these issues and how they can read the e-books once they can access them. It only took me two rehearsals (the first time I wasn’t as great at accessing the books as I should have been and kept clicking in the wrong place and the second time the website didn’t demonstrate the problems that is usually does.) My video is available here http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/clQTXH8la I sent it to other people in my team and they can see real potential for this software being used for a number of information literacy reasons. Thank you cpd23!

Podcasting isn’t really for me. My only skill is that I’m quick at reading and so it is much more convenient to me to receive my information this way- especially when I’m unsure of the quality of the material that I might have to sit through. (I’ve had to sit through far too much awful training in various jobs to want to have to do that voluntarily!)

Here’s a photo of something I did enjoy doing. You can get free tours around the London Library- more details available at http://www.londonlibrary.co.uk/index.php?/tours.html

No comments:

Post a Comment