Tuesday 25 September 2012

Thing 17: Prezi and Slideshare

Prezi is one of those tools that I’ve been hearing about for a while, but until I got to this ‘thing’ I haven’t had the reason to try.

 At work at the moment we are getting ready to celebrate Black History Month by commemorating the role B/EM nurses have played in nursing in the UK. I thought I would use some of the information that we’re about to put on our website in a Prezi. I didn’t initially find it very user friendly and am still not sure where exactly I need to click to bring up the text box or bubble. However, I’m sure that’s something that will come with practice. To link in with the theme, I chose the ‘around the world’ (my name for it) framework which meant that each of my points could be easily ordered anticlockwise so I didn’t need to worry about that part of organising my presentation.  I only used one image and had difficulty getting it the right size. Once I’d achieved this, I couldn’t straighten it but hopefully the jaunty angle adds to the atmosphere! However, I was eventually able to put the bits of text onto the presentation and even started to add subpoints like a show-off! I can see how this could easily become a really useful library tool (as soon as I start to need to give presentations!)

Here is my basic first attempt at a prezi http://prezi.com/l92ush0ufibn/black-history-month/

When I do need to start giving presentations, Slideshare also sounds promising (and an excellent tool for continuing my love of ‘best practice’ (aka not having to reinvent the wheel.) Unfortunately, the version I can access at work can only be viewed in its most basic (links in Times New Roman, no images etc.) So I can see the writing in the presentations about cpd23 (for example) but not the slides themselves. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is linked to work’s deep-rooted suspicion of websites that store personal files on Internet servers for backup or exchange. I’m starting a new job in a couple of weeks in a further education college and it will be interesting to see whether they view such websites with the same suspicion.

In honour of my impending move oop north, I shall use only London based photos for my next few things. Here I am outside the University of London library at Senate House

No comments:

Post a Comment