Wednesday 4 July 2012

Thing Eight: Google Calendar

I’m unsure what to make of using Google calendar for cpd23. Every organisation I’ve ever worked in has used Microsoft Outlook and its calendar function. This is useful when trying to figure out where colleagues are and when to book meetings for as well as reminding me when I’m supposed to be on a desk. Last week a friend in another organisation was able to invite me to Museums Showoff through Outlook, which has widened the possibilities of its use.

I’m not sure how Google Calendar could help me more. I would be able to add it to my smartphone but try not to add too much information to that as I’m paranoid about it being stolen. I am yet to lead the hardcore, pressurised job that needs me to be aware of deadlines (says the person doing writing this blog three weeks late!) and so don’t think I would need to be aware of appointments 24 hours a day. I’m also slightly wary of having everything with one company. However, I do like the weather function with Google and found it easy to use, so if I was moved to a company without Outlook, I would probably start using this in its place.

On the (sort of) theme of flapping about- here is a picture of me outside Tooting Library.( I was involved with the teenage participation project which ensured it gained National Lottery Funding y’know…….)



In my first blog post, I mentioned that I used to volunteer with The Women’s Library who are currently under threat after the London Metropolitan University said that they would withdraw funding at the end of the year. If you are reading this and live in/ near London, there is a meeting to discuss ideas for saving this library this Friday (6th July from 7pm) at The Rocket on Holloway Road (N7 8DB.)  Of course, if you attend this you can talk about it for your Thing Seven….! And no matter where you live, you can all sign this petition or follow their twitter account to appreciate online networks (Thing Six!) Find out more about the campaign here……

No comments:

Post a Comment