Sunday 25 November 2012

Thing 21: New jobs

Writing this as someone who is only five weeks into a new job, I hope that this is something I won't have to worry about for a while! However, it is useful to have some idea of why I'm doing this and what the eventual outcome will be....

Part 1: Identifying your strengths; capitalising on your interests

My main interest has always been music- I chose my universities based on which ones had the most number of gigs in that week's NME and may possibly have done the same degree as two of the Manic Street Preachers (ah, to be 17 again!) Linked to this (especially what is quoted in music magazines and (once again) by the Manics) I read widely and like art and film. I've always loved history.
One of my strengths for this career is that I can be pretty bolshy (I have loud friends and have to make myself heard!) and so can stand out from some other librarians (massive generalisation klaxon!) If I'm interested in a topic or idea, I throw myself completely into a project and so can often bring a project to fruition in quite a short time period.
Working in public libraries was brilliant as I could widen my reading depending on what the public recommended to me, organise events based around my interests and stand up to boisterous teenagers ensuring that the library space remained open to all.  Working for the RCN was different as I was part of a large organisation so didn't have as much freedom, but could continue my interest in history, introduce some ideas from public libraries (Black History Month and Super Library Challenge (based around the Summer Reading Scheme) In my new place I'm brilliantly the subject librarian for all the creative industries (music, performing arts, photography, fine art etc) studied in the College so I've been enjoying getting to know my new stock.

Part 2: Applying for a job

I hopefully won't need to do this for a while!
My most basic piece of advice would be to use the same vocabulary that is used in the advert. The people who are shortlisting have specific criteria that they are looking for, it's much easier for them to find and tick off. Also, I don't think librarians are really being headhunted at the moment, so make the most of your LinkedIn profile to put everything on there. You can then choose the most relevant for each particular job if you need to put together a CV for it.

Part 3: Interviews

It seems a silly thing to write- be confident- but it is (I think!) the most important lesson. Most libraries are no longer quiet places where people can hide in some dusty shelves and never have to speak to anyone. Employers are looking for people with excellent customer service, who can deal with arguments ( a lot of people REALLY don't want to pay their fines!) and cultivate partnerships with other organisations/ departments to raise the profile of the library/ get funding for a larger project etc. You need to show that you can speak up, smile in awkward situations and express your opinions. 
My only other tip would be to find out as much information as possible about the organisation and library from the website. I also feel no shame in occasionally saying something along the lines of "as it says on your website..." a number of times in the interview.

The advice given on the 23 things website was great- don't feel awkward about boasting. This Thing never asked me to list my weaknesses, failings etc and so I can finish this thing pretending that a long and successful career is in front of me!


Here's a more realistic photo to finish with- me desperately clinging on to the railings outside Victoria library in London!




No comments:

Post a Comment